looking for Raphidophora celatocaulis

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: looking for Raphidophora celatocaulis
  • From: Jack Honeycutt <jhoneycutt@uswest.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:31:35 -0500 (CDT)

While traveling in Miami Florida about 6 months ago, I visited Fairchild
Tropical Gardens.  In the greenhouse was a lovely tropical vine.  The
leaves did not swing in the wind, but were almost glued flat to the surface
that they were climbing.  It looked like something from a Science Fiction
move; like a plant from another planet....

The tag at Fairchild ID'ed this as Raphidophora sp. The plant came from a
botanical garden in New Guinea.  The common name is 'The Shingle Plant'.

Calling around, I found a fellow at rareplants.com (The Glasshouse Works)
who suspected that this was R. celatocaulis.  He had a Raphidophora, but
not the one I am looking for.

I would be interested in reading more about this genera, and would
appreciate any referrals to any books or articles (I just found and joined
the Aroid Society yesterday).
I would also be interested in being referred to anyone (or a nursery) who
might have a cutting of this plant for sale or trade.

I am new to this list and I look forward to learning more about this group
of plants.

Thanks in advance.

Jack in Portland Oregon