Fw: Monstera deliciosa - dwarf, giant or otherwise "developmentally

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Fw: Monstera deliciosa - dwarf, giant or otherwise "developmentally
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:44:24 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Jay!!!

>Julius -

Good to see that you are back from Guyana Francais.<

Yes, wonderful trip, great companions, fantastic rivers and jungle, got
really lovely plants,  a few surprises, and saw more beautiful species of
Morpho butterflies than I have even seen, even more than in the Ecuadorian
Amazon.   Got most of the Bromeliads that my friend wanted, so that was
good.   Lots of rain, heat, insect bites and overall rough conditions, but
well worth it to see and collect Anaphyllopsis , Dracontium, many lovely
Philodendrons, Anthuriums, Caladiums, Xanthosomas, and Urospatha (!!!) in
full bloom in their natural habitat, some were 'plants from hell' in that
they were HELL to collect!   Brought back seeds of Phenakospermum guayanense
(spelling?) the giant Heliconia-like Musiod plant, amazing thing to see in
bloom in it`s natural habitat!

>Your observations on variations in M. deliciosa were interesting. Although
the "classic" version is grown in gardens everywhere here, come to think of
it, all of the wild plants I have observed in the western Guatemalan
highlands WERE somewhat different from that wildly fenstrated/lacinate (?)
thing that we all grew up with. While the leaves of indigenous plants get
pretty big and do "shot-hole" modestly, they look much more like the first
illustration in Birdsey's "The Cultivated Aroids" and identified there as
'cultigen Dwarf Ceriman" than the Oaxacan plants.<

Lots of people seemed to be confused as to which plant they had, and  my
query about if there were ALSO small/dwarf forms of true M. deliciosa in
cultivation in addition to the Raphidophora tetrasperma (which Pete so
kindly informed us of) that only LOOKS like a M. deliciosa was un-answered.
I could picture everyone going out and labeling all the TRUE small Monstera
deliciosa`s in their collections as Raphidophora tetrasperma!!
Have NOT ever seen Monroe`s book/paper, would love to eventually read a
copy.   Wonder if Monroe`s illustration of the 'Dwarf Ceriman' was a true M.
deliciosa, OR the Raphidophora that Pete mentions, and which Monroe had in
his collection, as well as true Monstera deliciosa??   IF poss., could you
send me a Xerox of the illustration from his book???   It would be great to
get a photo of the leaf of the Raphidophora and the dwarf Monstera on the
'L' for people to compare them.

>Question - I have a plant of the M. deliciosa 'albo-variegata' form that
appears to be heading towards giant, fenestrated splendor. Are all the
plants that you see in the trade propagations from a single clone, are is
this variegation fairly common in the population? Presumably this very
'coqueto' form originated in southern Mexico?<

Do not know where this form originated---my guess is that it originated from
a single 'sport', and I do not believe variegation to be common in this
species.   I have only seen it grow to about less than half the leaf size of
the common 'giant'.

Con mucho carinio,

Y hasta pronto,

Julio