Re: Lemna and other duckweeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Lemna and other duckweeds
  • From: DeniBown@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:36:26 -0500 (CDT)

Phew!  Now I know no one is going to get shot at, I'll come out from under
the bed and say that in the revised edition of Aroids - Plants of the Arum
Family (to be published in September) I treat duckweeds as aroids and explain
(in layperson's terms but with scientific references) the whys and wherefores
of this fascinating taxonomic change.  Thank you, Eduardo, for risking life
and limb in giving us your lucid comments on the subject.

I have always thought that the Araceae is the most mind-boggling family of
plants on this planet, and now that it embraces the gigantic Amorphophallus
titanum and miniscule Wolffia microscopica, no one can question it - unless
to wonder if they are from another planet after all!

Deni Bown (lurker)