Re: A. titanum

>Most of us on this aroid list have become quite familiar with the
>inflorescence of A. titanum with the recent bloomings in California and
>Atlanta.  I am always anxious to view the sites that are posted, but
>there is one more thing I would like to see.  Does anyone know if there
>is a site that contains pictures of the growth habit of A. titanum

Brent, I couldn't agree more with you. I find the inflorescence of
Amorphophllus to be very interesting but rarely do we see the foliage in a
picture. And it is not that the folliage is uninteresting. As with all
Amorphs, titanum is unifoliate. Occasionally there will be some speicies
that sometimes send up more than on leaf from the same growth tip , but when
we see more than one leaf it is usually because there are offsets from the
main corm.

The leaf on A. titanum can get to be huge ( as you might expect) , but as
far as Amorphs go it is not the most beautiful or interesting leaf. The
petiole is smooth and has scattered lighter colored blotches on it which
resemble lichens.

I truly do like amorphophallus but have had it up to my eyeballs with A.
titanum.  There is a ton of web sites articles, a cd, and a bunch of press
on A.titanum. Enough already. What about all of the other species? There are
many, many more with much more beautiful foliage and much more beautiful
inflorescence. I guess we are just all too enamored with the hugeness of A.

And hey you amorph guys.....how about some photos of those leaves.. That's
why I grow em any way.

The foliage fanatic,