Re: A. titanum

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Tucker <guyinmem@bellsouth.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 10:30 PM
Subject: A. titanum

Dear Brent,
NOW may be the time to break down and join the IAS, IF you are not already a
member!!  If you are in fact a menber, you would have received the last
issue of our Journal, Aroideana, in which was an article on this plant you
are so interested in finding out more about, and some FINE photographs of
it!   There are also several back issues with LOTS more info. on it, plus
MANT more wonderful photos ot its petiole with wonderful markings,
unbelievably tall and thick!   You could even come to our Sept. meeting/show
and sale at Fairchild Garden in Miami and confront a living plant of this
monster face-to- face, and grasp in your own hands this monsterous, smooth
and BEAUTIFULLY marked giant petiole of the plant kingdom!
Hope to see you as a member soon, and urge you to write and ask about
purchasing a copy of Aroideana Vol 19, devoted to the genus Amorphophallus,
[MANY species discussed, MANY photos of many species, nice photo of the
bloom of A. titanum and a description of its petiole],and other issues I

>Dear aroiders,

Most of us on this aroid list have become quite familiar with the
inflorescence of A. titanum with the recent bloomings in California and
Atlanta.  I am always anxious to view the sites that are posted, but
there is one more thing I would like to see.  Does anyone know if there
is a site that contains pictures of the growth habit of A. titanum?  I
understand the difficulty of showing the entire plant.....being so
large, but I am interested in learning what the plant looks like.  Is
there tessellation on the stem?  What is the habit of the leaves and
what do they look like?  Can anyone point me into the right direction?