Re: Lemna and other duckweeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Lemna and other duckweeds
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:47:34 -0500 (CDT)

I'm another one who very much enjoyed eduardo's very informative posting!
i'm hungry for more.  now, I cannot resist asking!!  What is Wolffia
microspopica?

Lynn Hannon

 <<<<Phew!  Now I know no one is going to get shot at, I'll come out from
under
 the bed and say that in the revised edition of Aroids - Plants of the Arum
 Family (to be published in September) I treat duckweeds as aroids and explain
 (in layperson's terms but with scientific references) the whys and wherefores
 of this fascinating taxonomic change.  Thank you, Eduardo, for risking life
 and limb in giving us your lucid comments on the subject.

 I have always thought that the Araceae is the most mind-boggling family of
 plants on this planet, and now that it embraces the gigantic Amorphophallus
 titanum and miniscule Wolffia microscopica, no one can question it - unless
 to wonder if they are from another planet after all!

 Deni Bown (lurker)