Re: Lemna and other duckweeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Lemna and other duckweeds
  • From: Dean Sliger <deanslgr@juno.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:23:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:47:34 -0500 (CDT) Aroideae@aol.com writes:
> I'm another one who very much enjoyed eduardo's very informative
> posting!
> i'm hungry for more.  now, I cannot resist asking!!  What is Wolffia
> microspopica?
> Lynn Hannon

Lynn --

The common name is "watermeal."  As I recall, Wolffia is the world's
smallest flowering plant.  Looks like bright green poppy seeds floating
on the water.  I've had it get 1/2" or more thick in aquariums, where one
has to be careful that it doesn't get sucked up into a filter, eaten by
fish or snails, or overwhelmed by it's larger "cousins."  I've carefully
kept Wolffia going for years in cultivation but, despite rapid vegetative
reproduction, I just can't imagine how this plant survives in the wild!