Re: Lemna and other duckweeds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Lemna and other duckweeds
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:27:46 -0500 (CDT)

dean---

thankyou for the information!  aroids are amazing!  no wonder we're 'hooked'.

lynn

<< Lynn --

 The common name is "watermeal."  As I recall, Wolffia is the world's
 smallest flowering plant.  Looks like bright green poppy seeds floating
 on the water.  I've had it get 1/2" or more thick in aquariums, where one
 has to be careful that it doesn't get sucked up into a filter, eaten by
 fish or snails, or overwhelmed by it's larger "cousins."  I've carefully
 kept Wolffia going for years in cultivation but, despite rapid vegetative
 reproduction, I just can't imagine how this plant survives in the wild!

 Dean >>