Re: A. titanum at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison

  • Subject: Re: A. titanum at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:17:31 -0500 (CDT)

Check out this web site, its an article from Science Now posted on an
affliate web site (sans images, unfortunately)

http://www.academicpress.com/inscight/06082001/graphb.htm

The UW flowering ranks among the top 5 largest flowerings recorded in
cultivation. The last measurements I saw on the UW web site indicated that
this flowering equaled the historic 1937 flowering at NY Botanic Garden, the
very first flowering in the US (256.5 cm). There was an equally huge
flowering last summer at Bonn that was documented as only slightly taller
(257 cm) than the NY flowering. Aside from these three monsters, there was
the all time biggie at Wageningen (NL) in 1932 - 267 cm, and the second
largest at Kebun Raya Bogor in 1924 - 261 cm.

The article link above states that the UW flowering was the world's largest
"cultivated" bloom, I think they meant to say that this was the largest ever
flowered from a seed grown cultivated plant. Bonn's plant was grown from
tissue culture, all other "big ones" flowered from imported or transplanted
wild collected tubers.

Apologies for delay in responding...I did not get this message til today
(thank you SO MUCH Steve Marak for getting the list in order!). I hope it is
not old news to everyone.

Donna Atwood

In a message dated 06/13/2001 12:05:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,