Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.

  • Subject: Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:51:40 -0500 (CDT)

    Then it is still only a rumor as far as you know? I mean, if aureum is a
    cultivar of E. pinnatum, then it's the same plant basically?

Not quite that straightforward (is it ever!). For a long time the status of E. aureum was problematic. It was eventually laid to rest by being made a cv. of the widespread and highly polymorphic E. pinnatum. This is the stance (with the caveats that you have now read) I took when I published my account of Epipremnum in West and Central Malesia a few years back. However, since then I have been working on Epipremnum in East Malesia and the Pacific. There is a plant, E. mooreense, describe from the Pacific that was long considered to be a distinct species. During a visit to Paris Herbarium late in 1998 I came across the type specimen on E. mooreense (collected from a remote island mountain, not in a cultivated place) and lo and behold, it is identical with the thing we call cv. Aureum. In my opinion E. mooreense is the same species as E. aureum and is DIFFERENT from E. pinnatum on the characters I outline in my paper. The earliest name for the species is E. aureum.