Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.

  • Subject: Re: Info on Epipremnum spp.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:00:32 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Boyce <boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 3:57 PM

Dear Pete,

An amazing stroke of 'luck', the kind of story I enjoy!   Are the leaves of E. mooreenense 'variegated' as is E. aurium, or do the specimens of each plant just match exactly in 'features/characters'??

I`m still looking for fertile material of E. aurium here in Florida for you, but as of yet have not been lucky enough to be present when someone fells a huge pine tree covered with the stuff!    'Way up there' one can sometimes see what look to be a bloom or two on 'leads' that come away from the main growth and hang pendant, but they are way too high to collect without cutting down the entire pine tree!

I`d love a copy of  both your old and new papers if/when they become available.

Sincerely,

Julius

>>Laura

    Then it is still only a rumor as far as you know? I mean, if aureum is a
    cultivar of E. pinnatum, then it's the same plant basically?

<<Not quite that straightforward (is it ever!). For a long time the status of E. aureum was problematic. It was eventually laid to rest by being made a cv. of the widespread and highly polymorphic E. pinnatum. This is the stance (with the caveats that you have now read) I took when I published my account of Epipremnum in West and Central Malesia a few years back. However, since then I have been working on Epipremnum in East Malesia and the Pacific. There is a plant, E. mooreense, describe from the Pacific that was long considered to be a distinct species. During a visit to Paris Herbarium late in 1998 I came across the type specimen on E. mooreense (collected from a remote island mountain, not in a cultivated place) and lo and behold, it is identical with the thing we call cv. Aureum. In my opinion E. mooreense is the same species as E. aureum and is DIFFERENT from E. pinnatum on the characters I outline in my paper. The earliest name for the species is E. aureum.

Pete<<