Amorphophallus hybridization

  • Subject: Amorphophallus hybridization
  • From: "Jay Vannini" <interbnk@terra.com.gt>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:25:28 -0500 (CDT)

'Noches:

Huh????

I too, stand completely with Ron I. and Don Wilbert on this.

Jeez - isn't multiple flowering of A. titanium still s'posed to be "cutting
edge" botanical garden horticulture? I recall seeing that there is pollen
being shared between collections, etc. but howzbout "amplifying" the genetic
base of these things (i.e. get seed from other populations) before running
off and degrading them in a haphazard manner? What is the current status of
wild populations of A. titanium? Is it common/well represented in Sumatran
NP's? Who's running the "studbook" on cultivated plants? And BTW - do we
really know the source and identity of the "other" parents in these proposed
crosses?. My vision blurs when I see (yet) another bloody "konjac" post on
aroid-L, but it seems to me that our friend across the pond and Don Julio
Boos are continually correcting people's ID tags on their pet
Amorphophallus.

I own and enjoy a number of hybrid plants, even though I readily admit to
being an unabashed "species snob". Clearly, hybrids of any type have many
merits.  But if, indeed, Amorphophallus titanium primary hybrids are to be
tomorrow's "$ 5.99 special" at your neighborhood Home Depot, for Crissakes!
at least line breed and outcross the buggers before hybridizing them with
"sp?".

Hasta Luego,

Jay