Re: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?

  • Subject: Re: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?
  • From: Regferns@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:17:08 -0500 (CDT)

Just gettingt o these e-mails.

Yes Don, there is a fungus and it is "Sporotrichosis".  I contracted it back
in the late 70's and I am still here to talk about it.  At the time of the
infection, because of it's rarity, my MD could not diagnose it.  After two
weeks of watching my poor thumb swell up and become misshapen (back to normal
today though), the MD sent me to a dermatologist.  He took a culture of it to
put in a petri dish.  The fungus filled the dish overnight.  He then sent
pictures of my thumb and info to the AMA.  The diagnosis came back
"Sporotrichosis."  At the time, the only presumed cure was to ingest iodine
drops (15 drops per day in any assortment of beverages, e.g., juices).  After
the first try, the dosage was insufficient.  It was reworked, and the
infection cleared up. Things returned to normal shortly afterwards.  However,
the infection did begin to creep up my arm, fortunately it was stopped at
about wrist level.

When using sphagnum, make sure that if it is wet, it is used immediately.
The fungus entered my bloodstream through a cut near my thumbnail.  I have
had no recurrences, plus I am "somewhat" careful when using sphagnum today.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL