Re: Fw: Line breeding vs hybridization corn/maize.

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Line breeding vs hybridization corn/maize.
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:17:23 -0500 (CDT)

There is a difference between fig wasps invading figs and human interaction
to get improved crops: humans are intentionally and result-driven, with a
mind pre-set to do it. Fig wasps, for all I know, do not seem to have a mind
of their own in doing their thing with figs. So symbiosis and plant breeding
are not the same thing. It is not so much the processes themselves but the
way in which they are "used" to experiment on organisms. So, what the fig
wasps do, fits evolutionary theory of adaptation and speciation as we define
that today but breeding plants intentionally leads to different things, that
do not behave as new and adapted species. It leads to entities that lose
their "integrity" (as forced upon them by breeding) as soon as they escape
again. Discussion flares up again when such escapees do find a way to
establish themselves, albeit deviated from their "cultivated" looks (Dingo
vs. dog). What to call these escapees? It's a gray area.

Wilbert