Re: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?

  • Subject: Re: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:18:24 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Burns <donburns@macconnect.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Thursday, June 21, 2001 10:57 AM
Subject: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?

Dear Don

Glad you are back with 'us', buddy!!
I saw this terrible-looking affliction on the hands and especially
under/around  the finger nails of an Orchid grower in S. Florida some years
ago, he also grew insect-eating plants.   His finger-nails were also
affected, and the open and sort of healing-looking lesions on his fingers
were NOT easy to look, at, he said it was from handling sphagnum, and was
NOT easy to cure.   Wish I could add more, but do not have any further
information, I just know I DON`T want to 'catch' it!

Cheers,

Julius

>>In my few years of growing aroids I have periodically heard stories about
a harmful
(to humans) fungus that grows and reproduces itself in ground or otherwise
virgin
sphagnum. Has anyone else heard these stories or seen written information on
the subject?

Don Burns
Plantation FL    Zone 10b