Re: Amorphophallus hybridization

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus hybridization
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:16:46 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Vannini <interbnk@terra.com.gt>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 11:26 PM
Subject: Amorphophallus hybridization

Hola Jota!!,

Gracias for the kind words---

Friends, the plants we are discussing are too wonderful and rare to be
'messing' with, as Jay rightly says, lets try to put some lineage labels on
what we presently have before we are off creating hybrid 'monsters'.   There
are several DIFFERENT collections of A titanum 'out there', some from
Wilbert and Jim`s collection from the famous and much-photographed
infructescence, but there were other EARLIER collections by Jim alone BEFORE
the Wilbert/Jim trip, and there are older plants in cultivation, some of
which have been propagated in Europe by tissue culture, so as Jay says we
should identify living plants from these earlier seeds/culture methods
 perhaps Dewey can help w/ names of people he distributed the early seed to)
and collections, and perhaps start a record of who is being crossed with
what! (an Amorphophallus titanum stud book!)
On the 'crossing' of species thing, Discus fish (two species with five or
six sub-species) were  were crossed to produce the brightly colored
'strains' we now see being sold (DR. Axlerod`s mini-ATLAS of freshwater
Aquarium fishes, pg. 97), "some of which probably originated by hybridizing
the natural subspecies and species").   He goes on the comment/lament that
it is impossible to put a meaningful scientific name on aquarium specimens
of Discus.

In MY stupid opinion, hybrids of anything are not as inherently beautiful as
the 'mother species' are/were, but huimans will continue to screw with
mother nature no matter what.   The very least that we can do with Aroids is
to keep records of what we/you choose to screw with!

Cheers and good growing to all,

I too, stand completely with Ron I. and Don Wilbert on this.

Jeez - isn't multiple flowering of A. titanium still s'posed to be "cutting
edge" botanical garden horticulture? I recall seeing that there is pollen
being shared between collections, etc. but howzbout "amplifying" the genetic
base of these things (i.e. get seed from other populations) before running
off and degrading them in a haphazard manner? What is the current status of
wild populations of A. titanium? Is it common/well represented in Sumatran
NP's? Who's running the "studbook" on cultivated plants? And BTW - do we
really know the source and identity of the "other" parents in these proposed
crosses?. My vision blurs when I see (yet) another bloody "konjac" post on
aroid-L, but it seems to me that our friend across the pond and Don Julio
Boos are continually correcting people's ID tags on their pet

I own and enjoy a number of hybrid plants, even though I readily admit to
being an unabashed "species snob". Clearly, hybrids of any type have many
merits.  But if, indeed, Amorphophallus titanium primary hybrids are to be
tomorrow's "$ 5.99 special" at your neighborhood Home Depot, for Crissakes!
at least line breed and outcross the buggers before hybridizing them with

Hasta Luego,