RE: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?

  • Subject: RE: Harmful Fungus in Sphagnum Moss?
  • From: "Cooper, Susan L." <SLCooper@scj.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:16:59 -0500 (CDT)

  I have been growing orchids for
something like 37 years, and I am more worried about the dust from dry
perlite and the little slivers of bark than fungal problems.
Ron McHatton

Yes, the perlite dust has me worried. I couldn't believe how much dust my
last bag of perlite had.  And mixing up potting soil in the basement this
spring probably wasn't the best thing either.  Outdoors with good
ventilation is probably safest.
The man that was sick with blastomycosis used to own a sod farm and
presently works at a garden center.  He had grapefruit sized pus sacks
(sorry to those of you with weak stomachs) and other strange things in his
lungs (he is a non-smoker).
He needed surgery, almost died,  and will be on medication for about a year.
I do think blastomycosis is rare, tho.