Re: hybrids, ramblings, spare pollen

  • Subject: Re: hybrids, ramblings, spare pollen
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:03:09 -0500 (CDT)

Marketable....maybe...... doable.......doubtful......
I have attempted hybridization of amorphophallus 9 times at this point...... It has never worked..... As I have said before..... probably the only shot of ANY kind of hybrid.... are "like" amorphs (ex. koratensis x opertus, paeoniifolius x prainii, etc.....)

I have attempted those "long stretch" crosses (konjac x paeoniifolius, etc.... and they just dont seem to work).  Everyone must understand that IF these plants hybridized easily.... you would see a slew of them from aroid aficianados..... notice how you dont see them very often....... thats because you can "throw a little extra pollen on something"..... but what you will most likely get will be an "infloresence with some pollen on it"....nothing more...

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> One more note as I finish reading my messages this evening and this strong
coffee. When you pollinate a titanum you will always have pollen to spare.
Don't neglect to propagate the pure species, but why not throw the extra on
a waiting konjac, or paeonifolius, albispathus, gigas, or Typhonium? Two
words for you (despite Wilbert's objections) -  extremely marketable.
Bonaventure Magrys