Re: aroids (?) in the news !

  • Subject: Re: aroids (?) in the news !
  • From: Alektra@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:21:02 -0500 (CDT)

I actually have eaten the now-banned konjac candy. It's deadly. It is very
pretty, however, because it is transparent and glistens, and it takes up
colors and flavors very nicely.

It's incredibly sticky, beyond anything you might imagine. Let's just say,
it's stickier than a glue mouse trap, although it does not stretch or pull
into strings. And it really doesn't dissolve in the mouth to any noticeable
degree, although you can taste the flavoring they put in it.

You basically have to take a tiny bite of it, let the sweet taste wash over
your tongue, and then swallow it down, making sure your mouth is very moist.
I never found it very pleasant because inevitably a little bit sticks in the
throat. I can just imagine how it kills people.

Konnyaku, a traditional Japanese food, is completely the opposite in
stickiness. I don't think you could get it to stick to anything... maybe the
wall, if you throw it hard enough! I actually think its slipperiness might be
a little difficult for Western palates.

It has a firm rubbery texture that "breaks" when you bite into it. But you
can cut it and put it in stews. It has no flavor, and takes up the flavor of
the foods you cook it with. It's available in cans-- when you take it out of
the can, wash it off before you slice it.