Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs

  • Subject: Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:58:09 -0500 (CDT)

>water below) succeeds in almost every species I have attempted.  The only
>aroids subjected to this inadvertant treatment are the Arisaema triphyllum
>and A. stewardsonii, along with Zantedeschia.  Most others are closely
>related: various Asarum and yuccas.  Species that failed the worst are
>supposedly "bog lovers": rodgersia, astilbes, trillium, viola tricolor,
>carex, marshmallow, and chilene.  Other plants that did not survive more
>than a couple days even with crowns not submerged (at least 1" above
>saturated soil) are lamium,  heuchera, dicentra, aster, tiarella, most ferns
>(except Osmonda  regalis), hellebores.

Kathy et al,

If it helps, there are a number of irises that will tolerate from full
permanent submersion to growing in a normal garden.  It might be worth
investigating their roots to find out the differences between those
specimens growing within the water compared to those outside.  I certainly
have irises that have successfully been moved between the two, from both
submersion to dry land and the other way around.

Just some ideas.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!