Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs

  • Subject: Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs
  • From: "Kathy Kempf" <wont_read101@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 22:46:57 -0500 (CDT)

>Kathy et al,
>If it helps, there are a number of irises that will tolerate from full
>permanent submersion to growing in a normal garden.  It might be worth
>investigating their roots to find out the differences between those
>specimens growing within the water compared to those outside.  I certainly
>have irises that have successfully been moved between the two, from both
>submersion to dry land and the other way around.

I have not had the same experience with my yellow flags (Iris pseudacorus or
my blue flags (Iris versicolor).  They were in the same situation: water
rose to above their crowns (growing points) during the spring, and rot set
in quickly. If I had not lifted them they would undoubtedly have died, even
though they did have "water roots".  The difference seems to be whether or
not they have developed "water crowns".  The water level rose to about 2"
above their emerged stalks.  They had been in normal soil, then flooded in
the spring, and the water kept rising.

Maybe something wrong with the water?  It comes from a natural underground
stream that only runs in winter/spring with a limestone channel.  The pH of
this water is about 8.2, as compared with the surrounding soil of 8.8