Re: [aroid-l] A. titanum seed

Dan,
You're correct that it would be better if Amorphophallus seed
could be shipped with the berry pulp left on.  The pulp helps
to keep the seed moist, as Amorphophallus seed loose viability
rather quickly if allowed to dry out.

Unfortunately, packets of seed coming into the U.S. are
suseptable to being inspected by customs.  Should the customs
inspectors find berry pulp in a shipment, they'll simply
destroy the seed.  I've heard from a fellow collector here
in the US, that their shipment from Malesiana was confiscated
because of the pulp left on the berries.

The only alternative is to clean the pulp off the seed and put
them in some kind of moist media before shipping.

I've grownd Am. titanum from seed (shipped to me without
the pulp) and the germination has been almost 100%.

Alan