Re: [aroid-l] ebay - ebook fraud

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] ebay - ebook fraud
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@ncsu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:58:33 -0400

Peter, Denis, Steve, and others,

After seeing Peter's original posting, I checked the sites listed and
discovered that this
person was also using 2 of my photos as well.  This person never asked for
and certainly did not credit me for my photos.

I notified the person Friday and again on Saturday to remove my pics.  He
finally emailed
me back with some rather unpleasant responses.  I'm still amazed at the
reactions of
thieves when you catch them in the act!

He has since removed my pictures from his web site, as well as terminated
the auction
of his 'ebook' which contained the pics.
He has stated that he did not sell any copies of his 'ebook', but I have no
way of verifying
that statement.

I checked his web site, as well as his ebay profile, and he seems to have
gone to rather
extreme lengths to cover up his physical location and his name.  Also on his
profile, he goes to great lengths explaining how willing he is to resolve
disputes.  All in
all, it appears to me that he has gone to great lengths to maintain
anonymity.  And his
idea of resolving disputes is pretty pathetic.

I would advise all affected to send email to this person, clearly stating
that he has
taken your images, and for him to remove them promptly.  If you plan to file
a civil
law suit, this will show the judge, that you have taken a pro-active measure
to defend
your copyrighted material.

See Peter's original email below for the URL for Ebay.com    You'll need to
through Ebay's site to find out where to direct your complaint for ebay.
They need
to hear from all those affected.

The guy's personal web site (also listed below in Peter's original message)
is actually
hosted by yahoo.com.  You'll need to notify yahoo.com that this guy is
copyright laws.  Once you have told yahoo.com, they become somewhat
for breaking the copyright law on behalf of this guy.  From what I've heard,
takes a very dim view of its cutomers breaking copyright laws.

I'm putting together some information on copyright issues and will post that
here shortly.  Hopefully this will educate some uniformed people.