Re: [aroid-l] Germinating titanium seeds

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Germinating titanium seeds
  • From: Ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:51:26 EDT

Up, down or sideways doesn't appear to matter.  The developing growth appears
from the end opposite the end opposite the one where the berry was attached
to the stem.  If they are put in upside down it just takes them a little longer
to reach the surface.

Growing from seed is different from an offset.  The first leaves to appear
are much less divided and you usually see a rapid succession of leaves before
the first dormant period.  In fact, the more leaves you get in succession the
better since each leaf corresponds to an increase in corm mass.  The first Am.
titanum I grew put up 5 leaves before the first dormant period, rested for a
couple of months and then put up two more leaves in succession before the second
dormant period.  I now get one leaf per growing season and the corm is about
the size of a soccer ball.  I have a large number of Am. paeoniifolius growing
from seed now and they are also putting up leaves in rapid succession.