Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus perfume

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus perfume
  • From: Ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:52:13 EDT

Believe it or not that's actually happened to us.  Last fall we pulled in our
40 pound corm into our sunroom for the winter (still in its 36" pot).  We
were in the process of selling the house and relocating so it just sat all winter
in the house.  With only one of us in the house, one thing lead to another
and it didn't get moved out before the flower opened.  The stench was so strong
it made my partner's eyes water three rooms removed from the sunporch.
Putting a cardboard box of the flower made it tolerable for the day or two it was
perfumed.  Obviously we won't make that mistake again.

By the way, Am. coaetaneus is another one with a wicked stench.  The first
time this flowered we could smell it 30-40 feet from the greenhouse with the
exhaust system closed.  You would think we had a garbage dumpster full of dead

Ron McHatton