Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus perfume

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus perfume
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:00:54 -0500 (CDT)

Linda, I'll have to forward your note to my long-suffering wife, to let
her see how much worse it could be. Back before I knew konjacs were
completely hardy here in zone 6, I kept them indoors over winter, and she
(a teacher) was home on spring break several years when one flowered. I've
come home to find one room of the house closed off with towels stuffed in
the cracks around the door.

I agree that it seems to vary by clone, and I think also from year to year
with the same clone.

In the past, any konjacs indoors always flowered and leafed earlier than
those outdoors, no matter what I did. However, this past fall, I dug a
fair-sized konjac (maybe 8-10", 20-25 cm diameter) to give a friend, never
got it to him, and it is just now putting up an inflorescence, while those
outdoors were done in mid-April.

At this point I've given up trying to influence whether (or understand
why) an amorph stays dormant or doesn't; like the cat, they will do as
they do do and there's no doing anything about it.

But I personally think typhoniums are in general worse, especially in
how a rather small inflorescence can be nearly eye-watering through the
entire house.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 LMassey628@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/24/2004 10:38:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> Ronmchatton@aol.com writes: I agree that the odor isn't that bad.
> Several flowered this year and we hardly noticed them.  It isn't a
> constant odor and, at least with the clones I have, you need to be quite
> close to smell them.  Amorphophallus paeoniifolius is another story.
> We had neighbors two houses down tracking down the odor. The first time
> my paeonifolius bloomed our neighbor across the street came over and
> asked if I thought the sewer had backed up. And a few years later I
> heard a terrible noise on the metal roof of our porch and when I went
> out to look there was a flock of vultures.  The odor had even fooled
> them. I definitely would not want a paeonifolius in the house at
> blooming time.
> Linda

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com