[aroid-l] Amorphophallus perfume

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus perfume
  • From: LMassey628@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:44:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/2004 10:38:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Ronmchatton@aol.com writes:
I agree that the odor isn't that bad.  Several flowered this year and we
hardly noticed them.  It isn't a constant odor and, at least with the clones
have, you need to be quite close to smell them.  Amorphophallus paeoniifolius
is
another story.  We had neighbors two houses down tracking down the odor.
The first time my paeonifolius bloomed our neighbor across the street came
over and asked if I thought the sewer had backed up.
And a few years later I heard a terrible noise on the metal roof of our porch
and when I went out to look there was a flock of vultures.  The odor had even
fooled them.
I definitely would not want a paeonifolius in the house at blooming time.

Linda