Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions/odor

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions/odor
  • From: ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:40:59 -0400

I'm noted by friends and family for my keen sense of smell, but I challenge
anyone to say that konjac "isn't that bad" and truly mean it!  I had a 6
footer open the night before my cactus club's annual show/sale - it's held
in quite a large space (over 3500 sq ft in a "U" shape) - and absolulely
everyone was complaining for two full days how awful it smelled. Since that
was the second year in a row I stunk the place up I promised to time it
better next year...

If Ron's konjac "isn't that bad" then he has a clone with a defective
odor-emitter!

A follow-up email described bulbifer - I had my very first bulbifer bloom
this year. It was a small tuber (and a small flower)that I'd imported from
India for the above sale. It bloomed at the far end of my  house, over 50'
from my bedroom door. I awoke to the smell of a gas leak - but I don't have
gas... I knew what it must have been and went to the room where it was
blooming. It didn't smell like gas up close, smelled much stronger with a
somewhat sweet overtone, but not at all pleasant. *However* it smelled
nowhere near as bad as konjac!  By that evening the smell was mostly gone.

In the next couple of weeks I hope to experience A. titanum's stench up
close. The University of CT is 20 minutes from my house and I'm friends with
the greenhouse staff. Their first titanum bloom is due soon. The page has
been failing to load because of high traffic, but the address is
(http://florawww.eeb.uconn.edu/Titanum/Titanum2004.html ).  Try this link as
an alternate (http://www.news.uconn.edu/2004/jun2004/rel04065.htm).

UConn also had 3 A. prainii bloom a while ago but while I was able to get
photos I missed the stink.

-Ken Mosher