Re: [Aroid-l] Leaf fertilization - A.titanum 'ghost'

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Leaf fertilization - A.titanum 'ghost'
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:02:59 -0400

Somehow, Ken, this tree gets rid of all white branches in short order. The
first season it usually loses the white leaves somewhat prematurely and does
not replace them. The branch may sprout white leaves again the next season,
but usually by the third season it is dry and dead. This tree is mature and
about 20 ft tall and develops the all-white-leaved branches closest to the
ground only. The whole thing is strange, as is comes and goes: Some years it
has the white-leaved branches, others it does not. Seems like the tree
"knows" which branches contribute to its survival and which do not. I am no
tree expert (my chosen fields are limited areas of botany and taxonomy), but
perhaps someone schooled in tree physiology can explain what is happening.

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North