Re: [Aroid-l] Leaf vein nomenclature

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Leaf vein nomenclature
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:11:17 EDT

it means that there are normally 6 or as many as 9 primary lateral veins on either side of the midrib of the anterior lobe, which is that portion from the point of petiole attachment to the apex of the leaf blade.  the numbers in parenthesis mean that there are rarely as few as 5 primary lateral veins per side or as many as 10, usually meaning that only one specimen had 5 and one specimen had 10.
I was looking at a key for Philodendrons, and came
upon a numbering system for leaf veins that I'm not
sure about.

"primary lateral veins of anterior division
(5-)6-9(-10) per side"

What does this mean?

Thanks for any help!
Aroid-l mailing list