FW: Re: [Aroid-l]Reminder--Edible Aroids Talk Reminder-Talk on Edible Aroids

  • Subject: FW: Re: [Aroid-l]Reminder--Edible Aroids Talk Reminder-Talk on Edible Aroids
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:22:47 +0000

Re: [Aroid-l] Julius Boos and Edible Aroids

Hello Friends!!!,

Just a reminder, tomorrow (Mon. 27TH.) I will be giving a QUICK talk on Edible Aroids (see Reggie`s wonderful if somewhat embarrassing intro., below!) at Fairchild Gardens in Miami. Come hear about 'chubas' (tubers) that we grow and can eat!!
After the talk I will be presenting, soley for your tasting pleasure, a few samples of cooked aroids based on my Trinidadian/Barbadian heritage. My deepest regret is that for some reason dasheen, Colocasia esculenta (which is generally grown 'wet' in the Islands and imported), is NOT available anywhere in W.P.B., I suspect that it may have something to do w/ the new rules imposed by the USDA on imports of aroid products. Eddoes (Colocasia e. antiquorum), which are widly grown 'dry' in Florida, are readly available, as are tannia (Xanthosoma sps.), many sps./vars. of which are also grown in Florida. SO---the menu for tomorrow evening may consist of-- 'curried chicken w/ red tannias (X. violacium) a la Gwen' served over basmati rice. Eddoes (Colocasia e. antiquorum) in devil sauce w/ shrimp', and 'Ground beef with white tannia (X. robustum) pie'.
I sure hope to see some friends (and others??) there tomorrow afternoon!

The very best,

Not that the entire aroid world can come to Miami, BUT, at this month's meeting (June 27), of the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society, Master Chef Julius Boos will dazzle us with his culinary expertise. For a couple of seasons, we've been able to snag Julius to do one of his sumptuous dinners, and so we proudly and gratefully welcome him to prepare a gastronomic feast featuring a few types of aroids. Our menu will include curried chicken w/ Xanthosoma instead of potatoes, a shepherd's pie w/ dasheen (Colocasia e. esculenta) topping, and eddoes (Colocasia e. antiquorum) w/ fried fish/rice. (Hopefully with all of the rain we've had recently, there might be some ripe Monstera deliciosa fruit.)
For those of you who are interested, we meet at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida. Our meeting will begin around 7:30 p.m. The date is Monday, June 27.

Reggie Whitehead
South Miami, FL

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list