RE: [Aroid-l] Plant being sold as Anthurium titanum

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Plant being sold as Anthurium titanum
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" denis@skg.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 17:04:05 -0400

Anthurium titanum is synonymous with A. xanthosomafolium as far as I
know.. However, At one time Silver Krome Gardens grew an anthurium we
thought was A. titanum that we got from Dr. Birdsey (who possibly
collected it in Mexico). It turns out Dr. Birdsey had misidentified it
and what we sold as Anthurium titanum/ xanthosomafolium was actually a
new species which Dr. Croat named Anthurium faustmirandae for the
original collector Faustino Miranda. The real A. titanum is a higher
altitude species and probably doesn't do well in the warm summer time
temperatures at sea level. A. faustmirandae is a from the Atlantic
coastal plain in Mexico and grows well in homestead in hot conditions.
Anyway, faustmirandae gets huge thick, heartshaped leaves each leaf is
about 3 feet by 3 feet and it will make a good patio, atrium or
landscape specimen plant or a good substitute for an umbrella if you are
caught in the rain without one(Dr Birdsey said that was how the natives
used it.) not really a good plant for an apartment, a hone or a small
greenhouse as it will eat up all your space. I suspect that if there are
plants out there in cyberspace advertised as Anthurium  titanum that
they are probably great great great grand children of Dr. Birdsey's
plants whose seedling we sold to nurserymen, garden centers other
Aroiders at shows misidentified as Anthurium titanum until we discovered
the error. I have never seen any true Anthurium titanum seed or plants
sold anywhere...

Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida