RE: [Aroid-l] Gonatopus boivinii

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Gonatopus boivinii
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 23:20:43 -0500 (CDT)

I don't think you can go wrong with this one no matter what you do.

I'm also far enough north to have no fear that Gonatopus will survive the
winter outdoors, so it's been in my small greenhouse for years now. It's not a
weed for me - in fact I like it - but it is amazingly durable, and surprisingly

I've never had it set fruit, despite having several clones, so I know the
little ones must be from leaflets that rooted, but I don't understand how the
leaflets get from a low shelf on one side of the room to a high shelf on the
other. And I don't understand how they can thrive both in rock-hard soil I
haven't watered for months and in a pot in my carnivorous plant tray sitting in
standing water. But they do.

As long as it gets some water while it's in active growth, and you back off on
the water when the leaf starts to fade, you should be OK. The leaf will fade,
eventually, on its own, but mine do not pay any attention to the seasons
outdoors - I've been waiting for many months for a couple to go dormant so I
can send them to someone I owe.

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, gareth brook wrote:

> I hope my plant does well enough to be able to worry about finding new ones
> all over the place.  First I have to worry about waking it up. Do I leave it
> dry until it shoots or is moisture needed. Gareth London
> Message Received: May 21 2006, 05:44 PM
> From: "Steve Hatfield"
> To: "'Discussion of aroids'"
> Subject: RE: [Aroid-l]   Gonatopus boivinii
> I don't think ill have to worry about that in central Indiana zone 5 hehe.
> So in about September just start withholding water until it crashes? Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list