Re: [Aroid-l] recent Amorphophallus blooms

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] recent Amorphophallus blooms
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:38:23 +0000

From : 	C. J. Addington <cjaddington@comcast.net>
Sent : 	Friday, June 22, 2007 6:02 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] recent Amorphophallus blooms

Dear C. J. and Amrphofriends,

This makes me bring up a point we discussed some years ago (5? 6? ??), I had said that I THOUGHT there was both a 'good smelling' and a 'bad smelling' A. bulbifer! C. J. seems to be saying that his A. bulbifer does NOT smell bad ("lack of vile odor"), while Harry Witmore says all his 'smell of propane gas'! When I brought up my original observation, it was based on a plant of what I was TOLD was the 'good smelling' A. bulbifer at Mounts Bot. Garden here in WPB, Florida (from memory it looked like C. J.`s photo of his bloom)---it too was in bloom, and had what I remember as a pleasant smell, certainly NOT rotten meat or poop! Everyone back then in the discussion said 'no way', ALL A. bulbifer smell TERRIBLE! Maybe C. J. could give us some clarification on what his bloom smells like, and the experts could then once more chime in????

The Best,

Hi Susan!
Actually that vine is just a Morning Glory gone to seed ? nothing too exotic there!

At my school, A. bulbifer is one of the faculty?s favorite corpse flowers ? they tend to like its standard ?prettiness? and lack of vile odor. I like it too, but I do appreciate the stinky ones!

Aroid-l mailing list