RE: [Aroid-l] amydrium humile--pollination

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] amydrium humile--pollination
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:12:13 +0000

From : 	Michael Mahan <agavestar@covad.net>
Sent : 	Friday, June 22, 2007 9:01 PM
To : 	"'Discussion of aroids'" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	RE: [Aroid-l] amydrium humile

Dear Mike,

So let`s get some seed on your plant!
Since we know little about the sequence/timing of the female anthesis in the genus Amydrium, your goal with this first bloom is to OBSERVE, OBSERVE, OBSERVE, take notes, and collect pollen when it produces it! Keep a keen watch to see when the female flowers may produce a drop of liquid at their tips, in Anthurium (a genus with a bisexual flowered spadix, same as Amydrium) this can be a considerable length of time after opening, while in Philodendron (with a unisexual flowered spadix) it is just as the spathe begins to open. If in this genus there is no moisture produced, a smell might also be a giveaway to female anthesis. Sometime after the female tips go dry, the pollen will be produced, keep a close eye, as in Anthurium it is produced a little at a time starting at the top of the spadix working downward, we don`t know in Amydrium if this is the case, or if the pollen will be produced from the bottom moving up to the top of the spadix. Try using a camel hair artists brush and COLLECT THE POLLEN, as much as you can, and refrigerate it. When you have pollen in the fridge and know for certain when the female anthesis/receptivity occurs, you are ALMOST home free. When the second and subsequent blooms open, and are at female anthesis, just mix a little water with the previously collected pollen, apply it with a finger to the spadix, and watch and wait!
Good Luck and keep us informed!

Good Growing,

Julius

I have 4 blooms &  counting  She"s a happy camper !! ones about to pop .

Julius Wrote>>>

Dear Mike,

A couple QUICK suggestions---almost as soon as the spathe opens, it
should
reflex and then detach and DROP OFF, so have your camera ready and take
photos of the events as they happen.
Do you have more than one bloom developing?   If so, let me know and we
can
try hand pollinating the SECOND bloom w/ pollen collected from the
first.
If you only have one bloom, the chances are slim, but SOME aroids will
produce a seed or two with NO pollination, so wait and see!

The Best,

Julius

_