[Aroid-l] Thoughts on GOOD SMELLING A. bulbifer

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Thoughts on GOOD SMELLING A. bulbifer
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:55:01 +0000

Dear  Amorphofriends,

I have just received a note from ANOTHER friend and grower confirming that he too has A. bulbifer in his collection which produce good-smelling blooms which he can display indoors! I have waited, literally for YEARS, for someone, ANYONE to notice this 'good smelling' A. bulbifer (THANKS, C.J. !!), as when I FIRST brought this topic up years ago as I remember it, everyone who pitched in to that discussion back then said that there was no such plant! They thought that ALL A. bulbifers stunk! I even remember suggesting that maybe there was a 'ringer' in this group, perhaps ANOTHER species which might closely resemble A. bulbifer, but smelt GOOD! All said 'no way!!" So---I retreated into my shell, shut up, and waited to hear if ANYONE else had experienced or smelt what I had witnessed at The Mounts Bot. Garden sale those many years ago at C. Mc. D`s booth! Now, years later, we have confirmation from TWO NEW people who say that they too have experienced the 'good smelling' A. bulbifers! And yes, j b, I too agree that it does not make evoloutionary 'sense' to have a plant utilizing TWO attractant scents, but then again, it just might work, as pollinators of DIFFERENT types may still get the job done on BOTH clones/vars, which, in evoloutionary 'time' (millions of years), may lead to the production of a recognisable NEW species??!! Cross-pollination of one var. by the other might be interesting!! What say yee now, all other growers of this plant?? Does anyone else have information or suggestions to add to this discussion??

The Best to all,

Julius