Re: message from Robbin C. Moran regarding myidentificationof the club mosses

  • Subject: Re: message from Robbin C. Moran regarding myidentificationof the club mosses
  • From: "Harry Witmore" <harrywitmore@witmore.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:38:07 -0400

Leland, I totally agree and I need to make clear that I have no idea which
is correct and it really doesn’t matter that much to me. It just seems that
it's way to confusing. Also, I guess in terms of plant names, 7 years is a
lifetime.

Many people I know that deal with Orchids, Cactus, Gesneriads and on and on
just stick with the name they received the plant as. But, I suspect this
practice is one way bad names are proliferated. Just visit a botanical
garden. I went to one here recently, not UNCC's, that wasn't even close on
the genus names of some of their plants on display. That was very
disappointing to me.

I really admire Steve's tenacity in trying to get to the most correct name
and the reason why. I just don’t have the drive to do that I guess.

Harry Witmore
Cloud Jungle Epiphytes
www.cloudjungle.com