Re: titanum pollen fertility question

Thanks Steve,
I was afraid to freeze it having no cryoprotectant, eg. glycerin, and it being titanum pollen and all. But it was dry, double wrapped in paper and in an envelope, let come up to room temperature slowly, and used that day. The konjac recipient was just starting to unfurl, so no chance of the female flowers being past receptivity or males shedding their own pollen afterwards. As a matter of fact, it only became odiferous the next day. There was almost half a teaspoonful of titanum pollen (thanks again Fevzi!) and this went "down the tube" all around the spadix as far down as I could pour it. This was followed by vigorous shaking and tapping of the base of the spathe for about a minute (oh God, I hope the neighbors weren't watching!). I hope that gravity and the flies have done the rest.
I do believe that konjac is not big enough  ;-) , and the introduction of titanum genes will greatly improve its size, introduce hybrid vigor (as if it needs that) and a percentage of seedlings will survive our zone 7 gardens here. On the other hand, one may get a more vigorous and rot resistant hardier titanum like Amorphophallus.
Aroid-L mailing list