Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability

  • Subject: Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability
  • From: "Jeremy P" <drplantman@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:19:45 +1000

Hello Everyone,

I have a few quick questions for you, and if you could spare 5 minutes to make some suggestions I'd be most appreciative! I'm putting together a potential study tour for myself, focusing on sustainability in design and practice in glasshouses & nurseries - primarily those in botanic gardens, universities & similar organisations. I'm looking globally, and would love your thoughts on the following:

- institutes or similar places that have glasshouses &/or nurseries built on sustainable principles;
- any new projects/buildings/places being built that incorporate sustainability and responsible resource use into the design, or even better, are primarily focused on these principles;

I'd also love your suggestions for:
- botanic gardens, universities or similar public spaces that have a tropical collection and you consider to be a top rate destination;

I'll be collating all the feedback I get and can send it on to interested bods. I'll also post it on the Tropical Talk Forum (see link below). And remember: the suggestion you may think is too obvious or simple may just be the one I'm looking for! So please don't hold back on sending your thoughts through...

Many thanks for your time and ideas!

(and if this trip comes off I might just be able to get around to visiting some of you!)

Jeremy Prentice
Horticultural Technician (Nursery)
Tropical Talk Forum Administrator
Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne