Re: Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability

  • Subject: Re: Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:52:16 -0400

Hi Jeremy,

Check out Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh.  There are many, many firsts for conservatories in terms of totally passive cooling so there is no HVAC, the first fuel cell in the world in a conservatory, they have the first LEED visitor center and they have more than 6,000 sq. ft. of roof that opens to deal with the so-called GH effect.  The web site that deals with this technology is at:  http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/greencomp1.htm

Unfortunately, they have few aroids of any interest at all as these are of very little interest to the average conservatory visitor.

Best of luck with your endeavors,

Dan

Dan Devor
Gibsonia, PA, where we had an insane hail storm today that left most of my plants without leaves or radically ripped up at best!!