Re: Anthurium with double spathe.

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium with double spathe.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:56:11 +0000

________________________________
> From: jardin_emilia@hotmail.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:41:27 -0400
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium with double spathe.

Dear Jorge Joel,

This is one of the many Anthurium hybrids loosly based on A. andreanum, and the double spathe is thought to be a result on chemical treatments during the tissue culture/cultivation process.   It is particularly common in Spathiphyllums which you can see at the ''big box'' stores sold there by the millions.   These plants are subjected to multiple chemicals as tiny plantlets still in the tissue culture flasks at the lab, some to make them grow faster, to produce abundant leaves, then when out of the flasks and growing, other chemicals are sprayed on their leaves to make them all bloom abundantly and all at the same time/month/season, so as to be able to market a bunch of blooming plants all together.   Many will be seen to have deformed or double, sometimes tripple spathes and spadices.
In time the plant will ''grow out'' from the influence of the chemicals and again begin to produce ''normal'' one-spathed blooms.

Good Luck,

Julius
WPB,   Florida