Re: Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability

  • Subject: Re: Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jeremy,

I support all efforts on sustainability and wise use of resources in everything we do.  I have an exhibition of environmental sculptures now on view at the Honolulu Academy of Arts...you can read about them and see images at, www.honoluluacademy.org .  Click on exhibitions on the dock and scroll to current exhibitions and Leland Miyano, Historia: Naturalia et Artificialia.

I can vouch for Lyon Arboretum as having a good tropical collection. I think that contacting Raymond Baker is essential.  He is extremely knowledgeable on palms...but he knows many details on other plant groups as well.  Lyon Arboretum is currently in a renovation stage, but if you are willing to see a wide range of tropical plants being grown outdoors ( over 150 acres) with a small staff and volunteer labor...you will be impressed.  Lyon Arboretum is associated with the University of Hawaii at Manoa.  Hawaii has a big problem with invasive species and Lyon Arboretum is educating the public about this issue in their programs.

Waimea Falls Arboretum is also a good place to see tropical plants grown in a large outdoor setting.  Their collection is strong in Heliconiaceae and Zingiberaceae, among other Families.  They are currently undergoing administrative reorganization.  Also understaffed and underfunded, they have a good volunteer base and David Orr is extremely dedicated to the collections.

Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden has a fair collection. It is a 400 acre garden set at the base of the Koolau Mountains and the scenic beauty is wonderful, especially after a heavy rain...there are dozens of waterfalls cascading down each gully off almost vertical cliffs. Their collection is heavy in palms and cycads and tropical tree species...arranged geographically.

I do not know if these would fit into your sustainability tour...these gardens do practice aspects of sustainability...and things will improve over time.  If anything else, understaffing and underfunding has forced some of these practices into their programs.

On a separate post, I also speak about Selby Gardens in Sarasota, Florida. I am a huge fan of their epiphyte collection...well curated and they have a top research focus.  Impressive...contact Harry Luther. I do not know enough about their sustainable practices to comment...but they do compost and have educational signage on this subject.