Re: tall Alocasia 'Calidora' with a "pseudotrunk"

  • Subject: Re: tall Alocasia 'Calidora' with a "pseudotrunk"
  • From: George Yao <gcyao@mydestiny.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:10:09 +0000

Julius and Eric,

Some of the A. macrorrhizos I encountered in habitat 2 years ago were fallen while others were still upright. They were on a slope up a hill. The area was quite wet, being along a water run-off. I think the fallen ones lost their foothold, maybe after a flashflood, as shown in the first attached picture. Some of the fallen ones grew to be quite big after their fall. The 2nd attached picture shows a clump of trunks wedged together at the bottom, thus supporting each other and staying upright.

George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

At 6/25/2008 06:09 AM, you wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:30:29 -0700
> From: leu242@yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] tall Alocasia 'Calidora' with a "pseudotrunk"

Dear Eric,

Yes, some Alocasias do grow tall. I THINK that on this list, and only just recently, Pete Boyce was describing how, in the wild, the falling leaves keep up with the vertical growth of an Alocasia rhizome/''trunk'', and that many Alocasias eventually die when potted because the grow too tall and there is no humus being deposited around the rhizomes for them to send new roots into. I THINK he also said that many species sort of ''fall over'' naturally and grow horizontally along the ground. He said to try growing them in a pot about 1/2 full of medium, and adding old leaves around their rhizomes as they became taller. We find the same thing/problem with Neotropical Xanthosoma sps., the equiv. to the Asian Alocasias.

Good Growing,

Julius