Re: tall Alocasia 'Calidora' with a "pseudotrunk"

  • Subject: Re: tall Alocasia 'Calidora' with a "pseudotrunk"
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:09:02 +0000

> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:30:29 -0700
> From: leu242@yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] tall Alocasia 'Calidora' with a "pseudotrunk"

Dear Eric,

Yes, some Alocasias do grow tall.   I THINK that on this list, and only just recently,  Pete Boyce was describing how, in the wild, the falling leaves keep up with the vertical growth of an Alocasia rhizome/''trunk'', and that many Alocasias eventually die when potted because the grow too tall and there is no humus being deposited around the rhizomes for them to send new roots into.   I THINK he also said that many species sort of ''fall over'' naturally and grow horizontally along the ground.   He said to try growing them in a pot about 1/2 full of medium, and adding old leaves around their rhizomes as they became taller.
We find the same thing/problem with Neotropical Xanthosoma sps., the equiv. to the Asian Alocasias.

Good Growing,

Julius