Re: Picking seeds before mother nature does.

When the situation that you describe happens to arisaemas, it usually means
that no fertile seeds are present. "False pregnancies" are commonly seen,
where it appears that a seedhead is developing, the berries begin to enlarge,
but then the peduncle starts to wither and the whole thing falls over. If you
check one of the berries, it usually contains nothing resembling a seed. I've
never paid that much attention to Arum italicum, but I'd bet that the same
thing pertains.

When we take an unripe seedhead of A. sikokianum and allow the berries to get
red, there are seeds present, and we do it in November or December when the
cold weather has produced the withering of the peduncle.

Jim McClements, Dover, DE