Amorphophallus

Two questions please.
One of my A.konjacs sprouted early and I planted it in a pot, it grew
too tall and I planted it outside. We had a cold, wicked spring and it
suffered, Now it only has a stalk left. Will it resprout? Should I dig
it up or leave it till fall? (zone 4)
The same thing happened with an A.bulbifer. It is still indoors, in a
pot, and very tall reaching for the sun. I would like to plant it
outdoors but fear the wind will take the stem (petiole) down. Could I
bury part of the stem to make the plant more stable? I know that some
plants don't mind having the stems buried and some react poorly
resulting ih death.
MJ Hatfield