Re: Basic Aroid Question??

Mike,
Here in Southeast Florida I can grow them all in the sun.  However, they do
not do as well as if they were in shade.  It is a light factor.  If the
plant gets enough light to make the food it needs, it will not grow large
and lush.  However, the plant has to be weaned out into the sun...  and
will probably loose all of the foliage that grew in the shade.  Some of the
Alocasias that will do well are A. california and several others that have
tough foliage...  Some of the more ornamental ones...  will not do well at
all outside.  As far as the Colocasias are concerned...  they are grown
commercially in large fields.  You would be very safe with this Genus.
Xanthosomas are the same...  grown commercially in large fields....

Hope this helps.
Dewey

>Hi  I was wondering how much sun that Colocasias and Alocasias can take???
>Does it
>depend on the variety???  I usually keep my Caladiums in the
>shade...Common "Elephant
>Ears"..can they be grown in full sun???  I know these are basic questions
>and I will
>appreciate your help!! TIA  Mike

Dewey E. Fisk, Plant Nut
THE PHILODENDRON PHREAQUE