Colocasia esculenta

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Colocasia esculenta
  • From: Michael Foreman <mrdf@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:52:13 -0600 (CST)

Any Taro connoisseurs out there?  Here on the west coast I have found a
supplier of 2 types of Hawaiian Colocasia esculenta, but they are used
mostly for poi.  My husband is from Jamaica and he claims the Asian or
Polynesian varieties are too soft.  I guess there is a "Red Coco"
(actually Xanthosoma violaceum?) that is grown in Jamaica.  Does anyone
know if this is the variety that is popular in Jamaica?  Does anyone
know where I could find a plant?  Thanks for your help!