Re: New position

At 04:50 PM 03/08/2000 -0600, you wrote:

> I have been interested in web design for a while,
>but was reluctant to leave the Garden.  So, when this position became
>available in November, I spoke to our HRM guy and told him I would be
>interested in applying.  At first they were going to go with someone in
>the computer field and not worry if they were a botanist, biologist, etc.
>But after a short time, they realized that they needed someone with a
>botany background and they could just train them in the web stuff.  My

Beth, I'm glad MOBOT saw the wisdom of training a botanist to do their
website instead of hiring some techno-nerd website designer who knew
nothing about botany. The fisheries research lab that I retired from the
staff of--about a year and a half ago--made the latter mistake and hired a
website designer who knew nothing about fish or fisheries.  Consequently,
the lab's website is quite lame and unimaginative, to say the least. HTML
is not that hard to learn and there are now some very nice software
packages to help you. I took a two-week course a few months ago and I'm
quite excited about website content and design as the way of the future for
communicating both with one's colleagues as well as the general public.
However, my personal website is still under construction, so I'll spare you
from it. Meanwhile, I think you'll enjoy working in this new, exciting, and
rapidly expanding field while at the same time keeping one foot in your
botanical interests and pursuits.  Best wishes.......

Neal R. Foster, Ph.D.
Fishery Research Biologist (retired)
U.S.Geological Survey
Great Lakes Science Center