Re: cane for propagating alocasia?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: cane for propagating alocasia?
  • From: "Gabe Thomas" <CDANIELLE@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:15:23 -0600 (CST)

Tsuh,
    A. micholitziana 'Frydek' forms a cane similar to Dieffenbachia;
however, I don't know if D. has eyes on its cane. By eyes I mean similar to
lateral buds on the cane between leaf scars. The eyes (someone must know the
correct term for these things) are about a quarter inch in diameter, covered
by  brown papery scales with a tiny raised portion in the middle, and are
mostly flat until they start to form little tubers then they swell out and
eventually seperate from the cane (very slow). I think this usually only
hapens underground because the only place it is happening is very low on the
cane where the cane is more woody and looks as though it may have been
covered with dirt at one time. There are a lot of little bumps along this
portion of the cane that look like they would form roots if buried. From
what I have seen when I have dug this plant up and massacred its root system
in search of tubers, I think the eyes form rhizomes that develop tubers at
their ends. I don't think they develop rootlets although rootlets might form
along the rhizomes.

Gabe Thomas
cdanielle@prodigy.net